Friday, July 7, 2006

Goodbye, Stevie Y.

I can't believe that Rob and The Lion King haven't posted anything about this (but Phil has), but I was saddened to see Steve Yzerman retire from the Red Wings. I know it had to happen some time and that the last couple of years have been painful for him (and, at times, painful to watch) but it is still sad.

He has been my favorite player since I started really following the Wings about 20 years ago. From his early days of flying around the ice, seemingly scoring goals at will, to the later years of making the necessary plays and steadying the ship when needed, he has been fun to watch. I still wince when I think about him sliding into the goal post and wrecking his knee. And I can still picture a few years ago playing against Pittsburgh, weaving through players and scoring while being ridden toward the boards and skating on one leg.

I doubt I will ever get one (because I don't really need it), but I've always said if I bought another hockey jersey, it would be a white #19 Red Wings jersey. Too bad they won't have a Stanley Cup banner to raise at the same time they retire his number this fall. Thanks, Steve!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Don,

Thanks for the shout-out.

Believe it or not, this year we bought jerseys for ourselves off of ebay. Kath has a Shanny one from 1998, and I bought...wait for it...a #19 Yzerman jersey. Good timing on that eh?