Tuesday, January 23, 2007

New (Radical?) Interface Ideas

Today, I attended the BP101 session on Why Interface Matters given by Chris Blatnick and Nathan T. Freeman. All I can say is "WOW!!" Talk about thinking out of the box! I can't even describe all the cool things they showed in Notes applications:
- All kinds of layers
- Editing without putting the document into Edit mode
- Embedded views and drag and drop in and out of folders

Then in the OpenNTF Birds-of-a-Feather (BOF) session, Nathan asked about something how we improve interfaces in Notes applications. Nathan, I think you just need to make your demo databases available in any manner possible. Yes, they involve more work but they are so innovative that they demand a closer look. The release of Notes 8 will provide the perfect opportunity for revamping applications since it will have such a dramatic effect on the overall user experience - the more people who can see these ideas, the better it will be.

Personally, I look forward to spending some time dissecting Nathan's demo databases and updating the interfaces on some of our apps.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I didn't think the UI's presented were that great. I can't imagine a user actually using all those little sectionns to enter data. Can you?