Monday, May 1, 2006

Teen Depression

Life has gotten in the way of blogging lately. That's just the way it goes sometimes.

Last week, we had a presentation for our youth group and parents on depression in teens. It was done by a teen who was diagnosed in the last few months with depression and included a short film he made about his feelings; the film has since won a number of film festival awards. You can read his story here. The word about this teen and his film is spreading (see this and this) and he is happy to send copies of the film and a presentation he did at his high school for your own use. If you request a copy, consider making a donation to your local mental health or suicide prevention program to support your local teens.

Over the last few months, I have developed a better understanding of this issue. Sure, there are kids who might use the idea of depression for manipulative purposes but I find myself thinking twice before I write off some of the behavior I see as manipulation. Plus, as a parent, it is helpful to know as much as I can about this and things like bullying as I watch my own kids grow up.

Categories: Youth Ministry_

No comments: